Volk vs SSR

Wayne Cox wmc20@dnaco.net
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:29:14 -0500

At 02:42 PM 6/12/2002 -0500, Mike Jez wrote:
>which wheels would U choose ? VOLK TE 37s or SSR Competitions ? SSRs seem
>lighter by about .5lbs. I'm looking at 15x6.5 wheels with 205-50-15
>Potenza Pole Position SO3s for my SE-R.

Mike U Bum!  That's a hell of a decision to have to make.  Those were MY
1st choice in wheels when I was in the market a couple months ago.  Light,
stylish, classy, not too flashy.  I couldn't justify over $300/wheel so I
ended up with 15x7 Kosei K-1s and 195-50-15 S-03s.  The K-1s are advertised
at 12.5 lbs and $139.  I didn't get to weigh mine unmounted, but the combo
is 34 lbs/corner.

I had heard the Volks were the lighter or the two (both in the 9.5 - 10'
range.) Volks are probably more recognized and a bigger theft risk.  Looks
wise, I could go either way.  I saw some bronze finish SSRs at TireRack
that looked really sharp too. Get a 7" or wider wheel.  Good for handling,
plus you don't want that puckered in tire look.  The S-03 seems to be a
very wide tire for the width  --  my 195s are about 8 inches wide across
the sidewalls;  the 185- RE950s on wife's car are only 7".

     -Wayne