OEM vs. aftermarket fans

Jay Whitely jwhitely2000@yahoo.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 20:56:07 -0500

Hello all,

I have a question about the stock fans on my 200SX
SE-R. Are these variable speed fans that can blow more
CFM depending on coolant temp, A/C system pressure,
etc...?

I am asking b/c I installed a cheap set of Discount
Auto Parts fans on my beater Civic and the A/C is warm
unless I am moving forward.  My mechanic friend
sprayed water on the condenser with A/C on and the
system pressure returned to normal and the air got
cold inside the car.

He said the fans I installed sucked and that they
stock fans are better b/c they will blow more air if
the system gets too hot.

Do the cheap fans suck b/c they don't flow a lot of
CFM or b/c they do not have as good a shroud as the
stock fans?

I have SPAL 10" fans on my 200SX now and I thinking
about switching back to the stock fans after having
gone through this crap with my Civic.  The problem is
that I needed a slim fan on the passenger side to
clear my 3" downpipe. Maybe, I will use the stock fan
on that side and make a 2.5" downpipe that expands to
3" right after the fan and before the oil pan.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

=====
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL