Insurance coverage while at the track???

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 10 May 2002 13:24:50 -0500

JOSH GARY <ewraven@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I searched the archives and couldn't find any information on this topic.

I forwarded something to the list about a month ago that was posted to the
Rennlist (Porsche) Racing list.  There is a company offering specific coverage
for open track events.  For actual racing, insurance *is* available from
companies like K&K, but it's bloody expensive, I'm sure.

>I called my insurance company (USAA) the other day and just happened to ask
>them about my coverage "if" I were to go to the race track and race.

Be careful regarding what you call racing.  Driver education (DE) events, AKA
track events, are generally not timed events and most insurance will cover
them.  OTOH, there have been stories about people who have had their claim
covered and their policy dropped like a hot potato.

>I'm curious if there are any racing friendly insurance companies out there?

You would have to look in the back of Sports Car magazine (SCCA's club
publication) or On Track, or another magazine that is followed by professional
racers and serious amateurs.

>What insurance do you use?

I'll bet money nobody here uses supplimentary insurance for either DEs or
autocross.

>I know that the SCCA includes insurance in there membership; does anyone
>have any opinions with there coverage?

That insurance covers personal injury, not damage to your car.

>I mostly want to Autocross my car.

Ya takes yer chances.

I am not being elitest or snobby when I say that what most people here call
racing is not.  DE events certainly are not.  Autocrosses, while not exactly
racing are certainly competitive events which would give your insurance
company an opportunity not to cover any damage.

Your best bet for enjoying your car with the safety of insurance coverage
ironically enough would be a DE event.  The cool part of this is these events
are often held at famous and wonderful race tracks.  As well, you get a ride
along instructor for the whole day until you are signed-off to solo, and even
then if you want a ride along instructor you will almost always have one
provided.

Search on my name along with some combination of DE, driver education,
insurance, Porsche.  You should be able to find the post.

George Roffe