Custom air intake ideas...

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Thu, 9 May 2002 03:50:29 -0500

 "Steve" <juketech@swbell.net>

> Do you think it would be better to make a nice PVC duct from under
> the front air dam into the stock air box inlet, Or the duct blowin onto a
> gutted air box? Would that defeat the point of running the duct if you let
it
> also draw air in from under the hood? Is just using the duct going to be
> enough air?

Well, if you've got to be cheap....
1)  I would not go under the front air dam on a street vehicle - too much
chance of sucking in water if you go through a puddle.
2)  Yes, sucking air from under the hood would suck...
3)  I think that your best bet would be:  Cut open the hole that leads to the
resonator in the fender so that you can fit a 3" PVC tube a few inches into
the fender to bring in cold air.  Ditch the resonator.  You may also need to
move the battery box towards the engine a little, as well as relocating the
electrical relay box that sits in the hole in the side of the fender.  Both of
these steps are usually done when installing a CAI, so you will be all set
when you decide to spend some real money.  You will then need a 45 or 90
degree piece to line up your airflow to go into the stock stub tube on the
airbox.  Ensure that you are only getting cold air by using a rubber 3" to
2.5" reducer (available from HKS or many other aftermarket suppliers, heck,
you might find one at Home Depot) to give you an air-tight connection between
your PVC section and the stock air box.  Keep the K&N drop-in filter.
4)  Your other option would be to go to an auto parts store and see if you can
get some small lengths of 2.5" exhaust pipe (straight and bent) to replace the
PVC.  You might be able to just drop that straight down into the resonator
hole without cutting the sheet metal.  You can then hold the pieces together
with 2.5" rubber couplers or JB Weld.
5)  If you can find a section of 2.5" radiator hose with the correct bend,
you're all set!  You won't need pipe or PVC, and you won't have to do any
cutting or relocating.
6)  This setup should give you plenty of air.  The MAF has a cross-section of
about 2" and it does not choke any horsepower until you get into Big Turbo
territory.
7)  Of course, you will not get any ram-air effect or any "tuned intake"
effect, but you will have an effective Cold Air setup that should not draw in
any water to your engine (as long as you keep the tube going into the fender
pretty short.)
8)  Take pictures.  We will want to see this....

Tim Rogers
-Sayin' it again:  Cheap, fast, reliable.  Pick any two....