detonation/noise

Steve juketech@swbell.net
Mon, 6 May 2002 19:09:47 -0500

Hmm, It really sounds more like spark KNOCK not detonation. I know what a
SR20DE sounds like when it is detonating, as I once screwed up the timing on
my first SE-R (this is #3). You all have me wandering about carbon build
up...I do not like to brag on my own stuff, But this car has been so babied
that I am seriously thinking that he never drove it hard. Now one other thing,
I have replaced all the ignition componets, bypassed the EGR, re-ground the
MAF, etc,etc and it still stumbles at 3k, it is 10 times better than it was
but still. The reason I am starting to think about carbon build up, the motor
noise is not present at all when the motor is cold, Only when the oil and the
engine get up to temp does it "knock". It sorta sounds like a old L series
motor that the valves are set too tight on, That is the best way I can
describe it. Well, thanks a ton for your time and help, This list rocks!

Steve
2 91's an a 94