Hi-port intake swap (medium)

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:53:19 -0600

Guys,

Okay, first off, I'm too cheap to buy a turbo kit for now, I can't
forsee it in the next year, maybe in 2-3.  For the time being, I have a
non-egr intake manifold, and I'm gonna port it, I also have a extra head
that I'm going to port/polish the exhaust as well.

>From the guys I've talked to, the flowbench see's about 1% increase in
flow over just porting, leaving the surfaces semi-rough.  There's
another theory floating around, that some roughness in the intake ports
creates a layer of turbulence just above the surface that allows the
rest of the air to flow better, and ends up netting *maybe* a 1%
increase in cfm through the head.

To cut to the chase (awfully difficult for me :P), what, if anything, do
I need to do when I swap this over.  I'm going to lose the egr system
entirely, (EGR, BPT valve)

What do I do with the EGR passage?  Cut it off and plug it?

Both intakes high port, the only reason I'm porting the non-egr one is

A) There's no smog check in Maine.
B) The EGR one is on the car, I can port the non-one, without killing my
daily driver.
C) The heads are interchangable

Lastly, I have the old lower end with a rod through the block, clearly
the block and crank are worthless, but is there anything else I should
scavenge from it before I drop it off at the junkyard?

P.S.  Since everyone else lists all their cars, I might as list mine
just this once.

'92 SE-R
'91 Camry
'88 750iL
'83 GMC Stepside 4x4

I won't bother going into all the details, but nothings
super/turbocharged,
or has any really special mods.. although everything except the 2
japanese cars has at least 5 liters and at least 300+, naturally
aspirated ponies.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.