Ignition Advance Problem

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:24:14 -0600

(Posted on KCSERCA) I met a guy with a 200SX (vinyl taillight covers,
Arospeed coilovers, knappy blue foglights) the other day.  He had a JWT
POP, and we layed my timing light down just for fun.  I did the Kojima
timing method (warm engine, 3k RPM 3x, disconnect TPS), and hit his
timing marks; it looked like his pin was *over* the 20* mark.

Here's what I'm thinking; somebody did the timing mod, but screwed up,
going too far.  IIRC, if the ECU detects knock, it dials back 5*, right?
So if he's at 21* of mechanical advance, the ECU would be pulling him
back to 15-16*, right?  He already runs premium fuel, but he's never
heard knock, never felt a power drop, never felt a power surge, and the
car seems to run fine.

I was tempted to go back and dial him back to 19*, but I had to leave
for some reason, and when I came back, he was gone.  I'm soliciting your
advice for the next time I meet up with that kid...

--
-=|JP|=-              Need a good geek?  I'm unemployed!

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://www.cardomain.com/id/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net        |