DET problems please help

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:24:54 -0600

Jay Whitely <jwhitely2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>***Are you using a 50/50 or 75/25 water/coolant
>mixture? If you use pure water or pure coolant, then
>don't. This could be a part of the problem.

He started out with just water and has now switched.

>Also, did you swap out the coolant temp sensor from your old
>SR20DE to the Bluebird engine? If not, then your temp
>readings on the gauge will be wrong.

I thought this at first, but Chris stated that the coolant was bubbling and
that he was getting steam (he described it as smoking).

I do agree that if he didn't swap out the sending unit, he should.  BTW, just
as an aside, I'm still using my JDM sending unit and it as been interesting.
It appears the sweet spot of the sending unit is the same as the USM part.
But, it seems to be *much* more sensitive.  The "normal" temp puts the needle
in the same spot on the gauge as the USM sending unit will.  But, before I got
the double row radiator, it almost always would show overheating within a
short time (and would come back down quickly).  Now that I have the double row
radiator (only thing I changed), when I'm moving the needle almost always
shows full cold.  Interesting.  I keep meaning to change the sending units
out, but I've had no troubles, so I've just been lazy. :-P

>If your water pump is failing, it will usually leak
>coolant out of the small weep holes on the body of the pump.

And this is actually a signal the seals are failing.  The pump is pretty
simple and I SERiously doubt the pump itself is failing in that circumstance.

George Roffe