DET problems please help

Chris Simmonds chris@1320tuning.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 00:17:11 -0600

List,

I have about 400 miles on my det as of now and I have
run into a overheating problem.

Here are the specifics:

The car was mainly full of water due to running
out of coolant the night of the swap. The next
day the temp guage started going for the H and I had
the water flushed out and replaced with coolant.It
worked but only for a little while. The guage started
going for the H and when I stopped the fluids were bubbling
and poping and crackling, sounded nasty. I let the car
cool for a few hours before heading home and it got hot again.

The oil light started to flash on the way home.
I noticed this only happen when I was at idle or in
nuetral becuase the needle would drop below 700 rpm.
When a car stalls the oil light is one of the 1st
lights to come on so I conclude that the  flashing oil
light is not a problem but just the light thinking the
motor is getting ready to die out.

Before getting home I had to stop again, this time there
was smoke. I checked the oil and it was *slightly over*.
The fans were *not on* when the car was off. I went in
and turned the AC on to run the fans, waiting a few and
left with the *AC/fans running*. Once I got home, I checked
under the hood and the smoke was very minimal and the
noises were not as drastic. The car was still fairly hot.

The only other variables in this is the water pump may
be failing, I had the PS fluids flushed and
re-filled, and the FMIC is not hooked up yet (but i'm not
beating on the motor)... Would a failing water pump
overheat the car in this nature?

I'm looking for any tips, answers, suggestions, this is my
only ride and I sunk alot of money into this motor and
would hate to see it go.

Chris