Alternator?

Mark Holden mark@vectorworld.com
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 19:12:36 -0600

Geo says:
> As far as making you feel better about it, sorry, but you
> won't want to use an aftermarket remanufactured alternator.
> They are renowned for dying quick and painful deaths.  Just
> get one from your favorite dealer.  You'll  be happier in
> the long run.

Listen to Geo.  I have 2 Autolite rebuilts sitting in my
garage right now.  Neither lasted more than 1,000 miles.
Sure, they have a "lifetime" warranty, but it's not worth
changing them out ever few weeks.

I gave up and bought a brand-new alternator.

With a WRX wrapped around it...

Actually, what generally needs to be rebuilt in these
things?  I have an honest-to-gosh Nissan sitting there
too, but it's toast.  Is it just a matter of soldering
in new diodes? (bearings are fine, and the unit only had
~25k on it)

-Mark Holden
1993 SE-R
2002 WRX