Off topic... M45 Sedan

Cameron Cavers Cameron Cavers <cameron@ualberta.net>
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 04:44:33 -0600

Glen, the M45 is a direct import of the latest incarnation of the Y34
Cedric/Gloria sedan from Japan, which is one of their staples for the
middle-aged market share. I think it's basically being inserted into the
Infiniti lineup to eventually take over for the I35, as Infiniti keeps
saying they are going to axe all FWD models from the line.... or maybe it's
just there to provide a cheaper V8 alternative to the Q45 and win some new
buyers to the Infiniti brand without having to bother to develop a whole new
car.

What's interesting is that this car has had all kinds of engines in Japan,
and is currently available with VQ30DET, VQ30DD,  VQ25DD, and even a RB25DET
(with AWD!) engine options, but the North American version gets the V8.
This car is actually kinda old; it's been around for about 2 years or more
in Japan (can't remember when it came out)

Still, I keep thinking that if Nissan wanted to turn some heads, they should
have brought over the Stagea, which is basically a wagon version of the
G35/V35 Skyline... try to go head-to-head with Volvo and Audi and see what
happens... (http://www.nissan.co.jp/STAGEA/M35/0110/index.html) Probably not
enough market share to justify it, unfortunately...

-Cameron Cavers
Vancouver, BC