Shifter (bushing) question

Dave A. Kerr dakerr@attbi.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 02:51:26 -0600

You should have ordered the shifter from Summit, I ordered one about a
month ago and got it within 4 days. As for the shifter install its really
quite basic (and I am not a very good mechanic and have done it on four
cars not including the 3 or 4 times I redid mine to adjust the  throw). If
you live in an area where rust is a large factor make sure to use some
penitrating fluid the night before on the cat bolts and the bolts on the
heat shield, this will make it much easier. To be honest the hardest part
of the install for me was getting the damned stock shift knob off. As for
the ES bushing its been about 2 years since I did mine on my old se-r but I
remember that it was a real PITA! I dont remember having to take off
anything else just have to get the right tool to fit between the two
linkages right where the bushing goes. Figure if you are not a great
mechanic and you dont have too much trouble with the bolts the shifter
shouldn't take more than 2 hours and about 1 hour for the bushing (dont
skip the bushing even if it is a pain, its totally worth it.)

Hope this helps
Dave