Intercooler cleaning

Erik Halvorson hammer_down@hotmail.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:38:54 -0600

<SNIP>
"and a drill wire brush for the end tanks"
<SNIP>

DOH!  Don't do that!  you are impregnating the surface of the aluminum with
bits of unknown quality steel from the wire wheel.  Crack corosion city!!!!
Much better to use the abrasive wheels (I still can't remember the name of
them yet).  They were developed for cleaning the surface of aluminum prior
to welding.  When welding aluminum, you don't want ANY contamination, thus
the use of the above mention abrasive wheel.  They almost look like they are
made from Styrofoam (sp?) but they are not.  They are THE ticket.  If at all
possible, don't use the wire wheel.  I am not saying that you definitely
will have a problem but you greatly increase the possibility by introducing
the various alloys of steel to the surface and imbedding it there.