who has got their crank reground and used oversize bearings?

Ben Davis bendavis@sr20deforum.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:30:19 -0600

I have two SR20 cranks with spun rod bearings. They are both a little
"scratchy" to the fingernail, one a bit more than the other. There are no
single, deep grooves around it- just general non-smoothness.

I've read the archives a bit and have yet to find someone who has actually
had this done and done successfully. I read of one person who had it ground
30 thousandths which is HUGE compared to the bearing tolerances in the area
of ten-thousandths that our motor takes. I would like to hear of some
success stories with getting this done before I would attempt it. It would
seem that since there are so few rod bearing sizes out there, normal and
oversize, that this operation would be very difficult. However, I find it
hard to swallow that since just one of my crank pins is scratchy to the
fingernail (smooth to the fingertip) that they are both garbage.

Ben Davis
hoping for encouraging words