Thoughts on new SE-R V-Spec

Tom Paule tapaule@yahoo.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:48:39 -0600

I have driven both the Spec-V and WRX on a road course
and on the street, I'd have to say it depends on how
much you want to spend. The WRX is a great car, but I
don't think it's worth $6000+ more than the Spec-V. I
was really impressed with the Spec-V at the track. It
pulls from everywhere, has tons of grip and is very
composed at the limit. Add a header, exhaust and a
cold air, and it will *really* kick ass! I saw a dyno
for HotShot's new header for it, and it was a max gain
of 11hp to the wheels, and it made power all over the
graph.

With the WRX you get a car that's a full second
quicker in the 1/4 mile, but a lot of that is
traction, as the Spec-V isn't too far off in mph. I'd
bet with header, cold air, and exhaust, and Spec-V
will run a mid to high 14 second 1/4 mile.

I guess it comes down to what you can afford, or what
you're comfortable paying. I', not sure what I'd do if
I was looking for a new car, as I'd buy either car if
I was in the market.

Tom