Rod Bearing Questions

Josh Brockman jwb1@cec.wustl.edu
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 20:34:15 -0600

I know it is supposed to be able to move front to back - as in, from the
front to the back of the motor. I assume this is what you're referring to.
My problem is that I can move it side to side as well. This is due either to
incorrect bearing clearances or (this is a monkey ass guess), maybe it has a
little play since there isn't a full oil cushion around the bearing? Either
way this is confounding, since the plastigage told me my clearances were
right on (between 0.0008 and 0.00018). But I can definitely move it around a
bit, in all directions.

Josh