dyno on new SE-R

brady dohrmann prelude_2@hotmail.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 01:55:55 -0600

SCC doesn't correct their performance data, whereas C&D, Motortrend etc all
do.  There are two issues with not correcting data, both good and bad:

1.  You can't make comparisons between two cars tested at different times.
Conditions change and if they tested an SE-R in May, then the Focus in
January, you can't compare the two.  Dynos for instance correct data (at
least the DynoJet) so theoretically you can dyno in AZ in the summer when
it's 115 degrees and in the winter when it's 40 and the numbers should be
more or less the same.

2.  According to Josh Jaquot (sp?) the reason they don't correct numbers is
to allow the readers to make fair comparisons.  Magazines like C&D will take
their raw data and sometimes correct up to 1/2 second, which takes their raw
1/4 mile time of 15.9 down to a 15.4.  I personally don't correct my times
when I go to the 1/4 mile on Friday nights so I find it useful to see SCC's
numbers that are uncorrected.

THAT is why SCC's performance numbers are often slower than the other mags
like C&D, Motorweek, Road and Track etc.  It's not because they can't drive
worth a $hit like a lot of people say on B15 and FreshAlloy.. it's rather
ignorant to think that because unless you've witnessed them drive, how the
hell do you know?

The bottom line is simple.  I take their raw published numbers seriously,
but i DON'T take their comparisons seriously because they're uncorrected.
This problem came up when they tested the Pre-Production SE-R as their
numbers for the SE-R were worse than the 2001 SE model.  Run your car in the
summer, then in the winter and let's see if they're identical.. that's what
SCC does in comparisons.

brady