TEC-II or other programmable Engine computers with SE-R's

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:34:58 -0600

Mohammad J. Baig <vt_mughal@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello all....I have a turboed 93 Mazda miata, and a 93 SE-R.  I was
>wondering if anyone was using standalone ECU's that are NOT JWT's...for
>example the Tec II from Electromotive.  I have this in my Miata and was
>wondering if anyone was using it with the SE-R.  ECU's (Tec2's, Link's,
>Haltech's etc etc) are very popular with the miata crowd.  They dont seem to
>be as popular with this crowd...just curious...

As Jon said, JWT ECUs are plug and play.  They are well tuned for probably the
best combination of power and safety margin.  They don't just write a program
that "works."  They continue to develop their ECU programs regularly.  In the
end, for all but the most hard core, they are pretty much a slam dunk, despite
some trash talk from the banana gallery.  I highly doubt JWT leaves enough on
the table to make it worth the expense, the risk, and the hassle of
programming a stand-alone.

I must note however, that the first DET that was installed by someone on this
list was managed by an SDS set-up for about 4 years.  Then again, at the time,
JWT didn't have a DET program and nobody knew if the DET ECU would work with
our harness.

One of the reasons (at least as we perceive it) that stand-alones are more
popular with other makes is the lack of a really excellent source of plug and
play ECUs.

George Roffe