Alignment problem and Khumo 712s revisited

Alex Samardzich rwd_sr20det@importnut.net
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:40:25 -0600

>:I have bought 6 of these tires now and had the same problem
>:with the outsides of the tires due to me monkeying around
>:taking the front suspension apart on my Sentra so much and
>:not getting it alignment afterward. I replaced those two
>:tires but I still get the Monster Mudder noise. I really
>:think it's the nature of the tires. I put them back on two
>:days ago after a week with the snow tires and I realized that
>:I missed the noise. :)

How can you miss the noise???  It's the equivalent of someone walking up
to and incessantly tapping you on the forehead! :)

There are several tires out there that just make noise.  It's the nature
of the tread.  Bridgestone RE730's are horrible.  In fact, when I ran a
set of these, they were brand new.  The sales staff at the tire rack
didn't even know the potential for noise that developed after about 5k.
Nothing like a bad wheel bearing sound to haunt you.  In fact, you
wouldn't know if you had a bad wheel bearing from the noise!  (case with
my brother's car when I slapped on a set of snow tires)

As for the strange wear, that is due to alignment issues.  The tension
rod bushings on my 240 are very shot.  I'm basically running toe out all
the time.  I have the most ridiculous wear on the crappy tires that I
got with the car.  (they aren't even worth committing to memory for
situations like this!)

As everyone is realizing, the Khumo is not a bad tire, and for the
money, most cannot pass.  I may be getting a set for my 240 to continue
my drifting practice :)

-Alex

-'95 Civic GSR Coupe
-'95 Nissan 240SX SE