HELP, NEED OPNIONS AND ADVICE

mike kojima choaderboy2@yahoo.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:07:32 -0600

It will not always blow up your car, it depends on
your end use, how good you are at tuning a car, what
is the rest of your setup, etc.

I can as well as quite a few others on this list, make
a relaible pump and regulator set up that will work
fine for drag racing but will give up some
transitional boost driveablity and 10-20 hp to a JWT
ECU.  With a BTM, it will take extended WOT runs also,
but that is with experiance and not everyone can do
this sort of thing with safety.

You can very easily make a bomb with a FMU if you
don't know what you are doing. There are way more
people that can make a bomb this way instead of making
a reliable car.

Some of the other makes that have supercharger kits
with FMU's for instance have a system that is hard for
monkeys to play with the boost and everything is
provided in a kit that is hard to monkey.  The fact is
that many other makes do blow up there motors with
these set ups as well.  I witnessed first hand how
easy it is to blow up a GSR with an FMU and a Drag
turbo kit first hand, 10 psi was fine, 12 psi boom!  I
have also seen an inproperly tuned Jackson
Supercharged Civic with a FMU blow up in a single
autocross run.  I have seen many pump and regulator
car blow up at the strip.  You can hear them ping from
the stands and soon you see the oil smoke!
A turbo is easy to experiment with boost levels.  This
is both good or bad.

I have not seen that many JWT ECU tuned cars blow up
for any factor cause by the ECU, even cars like Ben
Benividas or some of the extream stock bottom end
street cars that Jay Hassinger or myself have tuned or
worked on.

Like I said, you can do it, but you don't see any
really powerful and relaible cars with it. There are a
few pump and regulator hondas in the 11's and one in
the 10's but this is not the norm.  It is more brute
force monkey tuning.

So it comes down to, could me or others do it?  Yes,
do most of us recomend it NO.

Mike

Whenever someone on