Missed the Spec-V on MotorWeek?

Jim Rowland jimr20@hotmail.com
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 01:08:58 -0600

If you didn't catch the Spec-V review on MotorWeek, here are some low-tech
captures from the segment (plus a brief, entertaining slalom MPEG):

http://SERJimR.tripod.com/motorweek.html

I don't have the equipment to post the entire bit with sound, nor would I so
slight the show that features Jennifer Khasnabis, but the title gives the
gist of the review. "Rough Charms" - what you'd expect from a sport compact
built to a price. A big motor in a cheap Sentra with excellent, but
"nervous" handling.

MotorWeek liked the power and grip, but faulted the seat materials and
steering feel. I haven't driven a Spec-V, but now that I've seen one in
person, I'll agree with the "unattractive" comment on the interior. It looks
like a Vanilla Ice video exploded in there.*

They look like a ball to drive at speed, though. With the amount of wheel
lift MW was getting in the slalom with street tires, they'll be entertaining
to autocross...

...If not competitive. Who's going to pop some R-rubber on one and drive it
against the ITRs and WRXen at National Tour events/Nationals? Maybe it's
time for the Sentra SE-R to retake DS?

Jim Rowland
'92 SE-R

* As in: