pedal-to-the-floor trick worked!

Jerry O. Johnson jerryo59@hotmail.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:29:08 -0600

Brief recap: new cams & rockers installed; would not fire.

I disconnected the battery for a day, thinking the ECU needed a reset, and
this morning I sprayed contact cleaner in my coil wire plug, my crank angle
sensor plug, and my fuel pump fuse plug. I don't think any of that made any
difference. Then I tried (at the suggestion of Mr. Kawski and Mr. Roffe)
putting the pedal on the floor and cranking. They didn't tell me you had to
crank until the battery was about to give out, and then pull the truck into
the carport and hook up the jumper cables, and then put the pedal back on
the floor and crank some more. But I did, and then I heard hint of a
cylinder being fired in, and then another, and another, and then she came to
life! I couldn't believe it. I took her out for about a 12 mile test run,
and it was awesome! The throttle response was immediate! The timing probably
needs tweaking, but she did great. No real sputtering, didn't die at stop
signs, idle is about right, and that annoying ticking when going up through
the gears appears to be GONE! Did I mention that a couple of lobes on the
old cams were worn down pretty badly, as well as a couple of rockers? Well,
for someone who is not a mechanic, I feel pretty darn good about the whole
job. Thanks again, Mr. Kawski and Mr. Roffe.

Jerry