Welding intercooler piping

P@ bossman@customsteel.com
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:31:03 -0600

From: "Jay Whitely" > I am fabbing some intercooler piping for a project I
> The guy at the welding shop says that the arc welder
> will burn through the piping and that I should use a
> MIG instead. I will be using 14 or 16 gauge steel
> tubing.

> Can anyone confirm that the arc welder will not work
> right?

Yep, an arc welder generates too much current to tack stuff that thin.  You
will blow it out, especially if you havent welded before.  A Mig is the way
to go the current is more ajustable along with the wire feed, but even small
inexpensive MIGs are hard on thin stuff.   Best option to get it ready to
weld is to use some aluminum tape (used for duct work) to fit the pieces on
your car, this stuff sticks really well,  then scribe lines on the two
joining pieces with a straight edge for alingment purposes along the pipe
itself.  Take it apart, clean the adhesive residue, then the lines should be
used as guides when you go to weld it up...my two cents anyway...good luck

P@
www.customsteel.com
99 G20(t)