installed new camshafts...now she won't fire..

Jerry O. Johnson jerryo59@hotmail.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:35:25 -0600

I changed my intake and exhaust cams and rockers this weekend (stock '91's
from Courtesy) on my '91 SE-R. I took my time, tied off the chain to the
sprockets, no tooth jumping, everything went smooth. After I got everything
torqued down, I manually turned the engine over with a wrench. The plugs
were out, the distributor installed, but not connected electrically, and it
turned good. Then I turned it over with the ignition (fuel pump fuse was
pulled). It turned over real smooth, so I buttoned it all back up, installed
the plugs, valve cover, wires, fuel pump fuse, and reconnected the
distributor electrical connection. Went to fire it up for the break-in run.
It turned over nicely, but I didn't hear it try to fire once. Now I was real
careful about the cam positions, and the rotor position, but is it possible
that the ECU doesn't know where the rotor is at because I had the electrical
to the distributor disconnected? Would it do any good to disconnect the
battery for a day, and let the ECU reset? I didn't hear it even attempt to
fire once. Any ideas?