'93 G20 JDM engine install

George Roffe G_Roffe@big-a.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:02:05 -0600

"Mike Stensland" <mike_stensland@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Help, I'm a grease monkey in over my head.

No you're not.  You just need a small bit o' help. :-)

>The car starts, immediatley revs up to about 3000
>RPMs then the engine speed drops down low and it stalls.  After the initial
>start I've needed to hit the accelerator quickly to keep it from stalling.
>I cannot get it to hold a particular RPM using the gas peddle as seems to
>wander on its own.

I'm 90% certain you have a vacuum leak.

I had a similar problem when I installed my monster NA engine.  I'm guessing
you have a vacuum line that got knocked off since it's so severe.  I hope
you have an FSM.  It will help with tracing the vacuum lines and ensure you
have them hooked up correctly.  Oh yeah, you might have the hooked up wrong
as well.  The diagrams in the FSM are great.  You shouldn't have any
trouble.  Also check to make sure the MAF is grounded properly.

Lastly, if all that fails, you might want to test the MAF to see if it's OK.
Stay with it.  It's just a mechanical thing and you are smarter than it.
Just keep at it systematically.  I felt like a total newbie that had never
held a wrench when I had those problems, but I stepped back and just
reminded myself to attack it systematically and I eventually weeded out all
the problems.  Took me a while since I had several small problems, but stick
with it.

George Roffe