Shortening cure time for 3M urethane?

Jason Wolfe jason_a_wolfe@hotmail.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:18:35 -0600

Yesterday, I removed the passenger side motor mount from my 94 XE and
removed the bulk of the rubber insulating material. I cut open the rubber
pocket above the metal bolt guide and hollowed this area out--and, if anyone
is curious, the GA16DE *does* have a liquid-filled mount; an ounce or two of
brown oil came out of the cavity. I trimmed most of the rubber out of the
mount, leaving a .75" tall band of rubber running sideways across the
diameter of the mount to keep the bolt guide in its proper position, since I
have no means of making a jig right now. I taped off the bottom and filled
the entire mount with 3M Window Weld Superfast Urethane Black, part no.
08609. I let it sit overnight and the surface layers are quite solid, but
the interior is "squishy" and obviously not cured yet. It is now 5:18 PM
EST, and the mount needs to be back on the car within about 24 hours. I
currently have it sitting in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit, with a pan
of water to add humidity. Any suggestions on what else can be done to get
the urethane solid faster? If the mount can't be reinstalled tomorrow, I can
probably hitch a ride to work, but I would prefer not to. If any of you
kind, wise gentlemen have experience with this or even just ideas, I would
appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,
JWolfe