weird high pitch pinging noise?

Qualudia101@aol.com Qualudia101@aol.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:14:46 -0600

In a message dated 1/23/2002 11:51:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
spdracer@mail.utexas.edu writes:

> After sifting throughout the archives the past half hour or so, I'm starting
> think it's detonation.... but why would it be detonating at idle?  Running
> 93
> octane gas, have a front mount IC, and it's not hot outside (upper
> 70's)though
> it is really humid.  And it randomly happens around 10-20 seconds or so.
> It's
> not totally consistent.

I have a similar sound,however it only occurs as the tach hits between 3300
to  3500 RPM with the headlights on,and gets somewhat louder with the fog
lights on. Very annoying,as I too keep thinking it's pinging, but  I have set
the timing to 5 deg used 103 octane pump gas and still same. Don't think it
affects the performance at all. Dealer says it is coming from something loose
in the header down pipe(what do they know or even care on a  modified car).
If I keep the motor at exactly 3500 RPM(hard to do sometimes) (no load) it
sounds like a high pitched ringing. Again seems to relate to power drain
somehow,does the same with the Air on too. Leave it all off life is sweet,not
a sound........confused!!!

Frank 93 SE-R 65K original Miles
Stillen Headers
JWT POP and ECU