Engine builder

Jon Hall turboser@stx.rr.com
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:56:58 -0600

Well Mike,

> I don't know him, nor have I done business with him but there are
plenty of bad things being said about him on message boards which make
me suspicious.

I don't know him, only dropped off some engines with him to see if he
could do anything with them..... being that NOONE NEW DOES ANYTHING WITH
SR20DE engines. The only person I know of that I would trust to build me
an engine is Mike Smith, but from what I have heard he has a 2-3 year
waiting list and then you still might not get in with him.

> The other thing is there is no way you are going to push 20 psi of
boost on pump gas on a stock compression D or B series honda engine with
a roots blower and not have it break, especialy with crude engine
managment.  If you go to the web sight, notice that the much hyped Honda
kits that were going to stand everyone on their ear have never come out,
even when the were virtuly done 4 years ago?

I have no idea and don't care since I don't drive a Honda.

> You notice he says "we" and stuff to imply that he has multimillion
dollar machining centers, etc.  Flow benches don't cost to much but a
mori-seki block machining center costs $900 k.

We were told that Reher Morrison does all his machining.... and I am
sure they have a multi-million dollar facility.... JWT does the same
thing, they "claim" to do machine work and all the do is send it out to
Ed Hale.

> Also you dropped your stuff off a long time ago, where is it now?  How
much are you being charged?  Good shops have measurable through flow.

We never got nor asked for a time frame from him. He seems to be very
methodical and thorough, kind of like Mike Smith. I wouldn't expect
anything out of him for at least a year.

> I want to send him one of my heads, I just don't want to be the first.

He had a SR20 RWD head on the bench when we were there...... he was very
hopeful of the results he might be able to get with it.

> There is much valid information on that sight but some stuff I just
don't know about.

I have no idea and don't claim to.... you're an engineer... I am only an
architect.

Mike, I don't know if you believe this or not, but I really respect your
opinion. The 3 of us that dropped off these engines was just an innocent
act hoping someone else would try and do something with an SR20
motor.....
My responses were only to clear up hearsay and other things that were
being throw around...... he walked us thru the shop, we saw the flow
benches, engines dyno, etc....  Maybe he rented it from someone else for
our benefit?

Mike