Emissions testing, passed, kinda...

Jim Wright wrightj at apple.com
Sun Jun 22 23:42:37 CDT 2008

That time of year again, and as usual was worried about emissions
testing.  I ran a tank of that Guaranteed To Pass stuff through the
old '91, was on to a fresh tank of gas, changed the oil, cleaned the
air filter, etc, and when the dude hooked me up to the tester I was
blowing a reading of around 600 HC, far above the 220 I needed to
pass.  Ugh!

Now, I was up front with the guy when I first arrived, and suggested
he check emissions first since I've had issues with that before, and
didn't want him wasting his time if it was going to fail right off.
He just laughed and said that if there was a problem he'd probably be
able to help me out, and sure enough, he did live up to that.

I wasn't watching terribly closely what he did with the testing
system, but apparently before the test starts, it gives some info to
make sure that it's reading correctly, that's how he knew I was over
600 HC.  He started the test, let it run for about 15 seconds, then
started revving the motor until it kicked out to a screen referring
him to the owners manual.  Then he worked his magic.

He had some sort of cocktail mixed up that he poured into a container,
with a tube that he attached to a vacuum line at the back of the
engine, and started a slow drip.  He ran through quickly what was in
it, but it was too early in the AM for me to remember it all, I
remember B12, octane booster, and probably at least two other
compounds.  He let the slow drip go for about two minutes before he
opened up the valve on the line more and let it start flowing in
faster.  Shortly my exhaust was blowing white smoke as it cleared the
gunk out of my engine.  He said this was expected, and that as the
smoke and gunk cleared from the engine, the emissions would drop, and
as soon as the tester saw a good reading, it would kick out a pass
result.

Sure enough, after running for about 10 minutes. the machine passed
me, and I was on my way.  He claimed to have done this same thing on
his cars more than once, and another worker there said his own car was
blowing over 1000 and this got his car cleaned out enough to pass also.

So, that all being said, two questions.  First, I'm sure that what he
ran through was probably some strong stuff, and since I usually don't
use any additives, at about 250k miles I'm sure that there was a good
bit of buildup there.  Any recommendations on if I should regularly
use some fuel treatment, or try a roll my own cleaning like what this
guy did periodically?

Second, does anyone know anything about these testing machines, and
did I really get a good reading, or did he just fall into some way to
trick the machine and not know any better?  All I could see was that
it was stuck on the screen referring him to the operators manual, no
test numbers were being shown, so I really have no idea what the
machine was doing before it finally gave a passing reading.

Jim