Oil for engine break-in

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:11:56 -0500

Jay Whitely wrote:

>What grade dino oil is recommended when a motor is
>*completely* rebuilt with new rings and bearings?

>How many miles should be put on the motor before switching over to 5W30?

I used 5w30 dino for the first 500 miles on my engine.  Per Mike's
instructions, I changed the oil after about 15 minutes run-in and after 500
miles I switched to Mobil 1.

>Secondly, what grade oil would be recommended if you have replaced only
>the rod bearings? How long is the "break-in" for bearings only?

I just used 5w30 Mobil 1 out of the blocks on my DET after doing the
bearing swap.  What break-in? :-)  Don't sweat it.  I'd just go a bit easy
on it for the first 100 miles or so just to make sure everything is happy.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>